Car & Campervan Rental, Melbourne
Renting a car or campervan to tour the Great Ocean Road or anywhere in the country is a good option as it provides flexibility and independence. Getting onto the open road and exploring at your own pace means stopping when and wherever you please.
DriveNow is one of the best options for searching for the best price across different vehicle rental companies. Simply enter your required dates etc. and a page will display showing all the different hire prices from companies. You are then taken through the booking process.
Renting a vehicle away from an airport is generally cheaper as the car companies pay a hefty premium to rent space at airports.
Melbourne airport is no exception and cheap car rental is not usually a good deal there, but use the search page to check as it may depend on when you need the vehicle.
All the main car hire companies and some smaller ones have depots in the Melbourne CBD.
Renting for more than one day is often the best option if you can. The rates are always substantially cheaper the longer you rent.
Check your vehicle before driving away and make sure to note any damages that may not be shown on the rental contract.
Try to return the car or campervan with a full tank of petrol/gas to avoid extra charges.
Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, Europcar rentals can all be compared using the Drive Now search engine.
Excess Car Insurance – What you need to consider
When renting a vehicle there is usually the choice to pay extra to reduce excess in the case of an accident or damage. There are options other than paying the rental company.
Check the conditions if choosing to find excess reduction cover as it may require out of pocket expenses prior to a claim being completed.
- Travel Insurance will often cover, or give the option to cover, excess in the event of an accident. Check your policy carefully.
- World Nomads offer car rental excess reduction on their premium overseas travel insurance plan. They will also insure people even if already out of their home country. Read more and get a quote.
- 1 Cover Insurance has more information on the subject as well as providing insurance.
- Compare Travel Insurance offers more advice on car hire excess as well as insurance comparisons
Car Hire Excess Insurance
The Car Hire Excess Insurance Company specialises in a number of options to reduce excess car insurance without paying a hire car company.
“Whether you’re an Australian that frequently hires a car or an overseas visitor looking to explore the expanses of the land down under, we’ll cover the rental vehicle excess that you are liable for. In Australia, if you rent a car and it’s damaged, lost or stolen, you will be charged an excess by the rental car company. This charge is often upwards of $3,000 for a standard vehicle and up to $8,000 for campervans and motorhomes”.
- International drivers welcome
- Car rental excess cover from $4,000 up to $8,000
- Nil excess to pay
- Travel far and wide, there is no distance restriction
- All nominated drivers aged 21 to 75 years are covered
This post may include affiliate links to products we use and recommend, please read our disclaimer.